[Bulldog Cube Club] Cube Order

Anthony Hsu erwaman at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 11:12:19 EST 2011

Hey guys,

Hope everyone is enjoying their Thanksgiving breaks!

I'm finalizing the cube orders for those who expressed interest in
buying cubes earlier, and I thought I'd ask again on our mailing list to
see if anybody else was interested in buying cubes.  I'm planning to buy
the cubes from Cube Depot <http://www.cubedepotusa.com/apps/webstore/>,
which is based in New York City, so the shipping should be cheaper and
quicker.  Here are some things they sell that I would recommend, along
with some reviews of these puzzles:

  * 2x2
      o LanLan
        <http://www.cubedepotusa.com/apps/webstore/products/show/1247484> (review
        <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c71oADHW7Ao&feature=fvwrel>) -
        what the average WR <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Tbx5XsFRQ8>
        holder uses ($5.95)
      o Maru
        <http://www.cubedepotusa.com/apps/webstore/products/show/1592231> (review
        <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGrdhbGpkn8>) - what I currently
        have; is pretty nice when properly tensioned and lubricated ($9)
      o Type C
        <http://www.cubedepotusa.com/apps/webstore/products/show/2595676> (review
        <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alN3Nmc064I>) - another good 2x2
        that some consider to be even better than the LanLan; can do
        reverse corner-cutting ($10.50)
  * 3x3
      o Dayan ZhanChi
        <http://www.cubedepotusa.com/apps/webstore/products/show/2535579> (review
        <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2j-dHbeOlU>) - what the WR
        <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v_Km6cv6DU&feature=relmfu>
        holder uses; what most of us (and the majority of top
        speedcubers nowadays) use; cuts corners really well; has
        torpedoes inside that reduce the amount of popping - ($14)
      o Dayan Guhong
        <http://www.cubedepotusa.com/apps/webstore/products/show/1898942> (review
        <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV6CBYQDPFE>) - another really
        good 3x3 that some cubers prefer over the ZhanChi ($11.95)
      o Ghost Hand II
        <http://www.cubedepotusa.com/apps/webstore/products/show/1214153> (review
        <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGEKBCqpYO4&feature=player_embedded>,
        also linked to from the product page) ($7.25)
      o ShenShou
        <http://www.cubedepotusa.com/apps/webstore/products/show/1213408> (has
        a review on the page) (another review
        <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imi73XpwgpM>) ($7)
  * 4x4
      o ShengShou v3
        <http://www.cubedepotusa.com/apps/webstore/products/show/2580187> (review
        <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-tLNZOfArg>) ($10)
      o Mini mf8 + Dayan
        <http://www.cubedepotusa.com/apps/webstore/products/show/2677461> (review
        <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aTJr2yAzzw>) - It's actually
        about the same size as the regular mf8+Dayan.  The core is the
        same; the cubie pieces are just smaller, with some
        modifications.  I have a regular-sized mf8+Dayan which is my
        primary 4x4 speedcube (and also the WR
        <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbxTZBd06Pg> holder's); it's
        fast but it pops sometimes ($18.50)
      o Maru
        <http://www.cubedepotusa.com/apps/webstore/products/show/2067560> (review
        <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWdVlmqyxqQ>) - I have a couple
        Maru 4x4s, too, but the mechanism inside sometimes locks up; I
        prefer the mf8+Dayan though a lot of cubers prefer the Maru ($18.75)
  * 5x5
      o ShengShou
        <http://www.cubedepotusa.com/apps/webstore/products/show/2535592> (review
        <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyVQU3rnGaY>) - what the WR
        <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM_e-qaW24g&feature=related>
        holder uses ($10)
      o V-Cube
        <http://www.cubedepotusa.com/apps/webstore/products/show/1507815> (review
        <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4-yAJv_PL0>) - what Kevin and I
        have; it's definitely way better than a Rubik's or Eastsheen
        5x5, but haven't tried a ShengShou yet, so can't compare with
        that ($31)

Keep in mind that all of the cubes above have screws/springs that you
can adjust to your liking.  They may not be great out of the box, but
once you've broken them in, adjusted the tension, and lubricated them,
they'll probably be pretty good.

If you need replacement stickers or lube, let me know - I have lots of both.

So if you want to order cubes (or other puzzles/accessories), let me
know soon - I hope to place an order by the end of this week.

Cube on,
Anthony