[Coll_Collab] Collections Collaborative spring symposium

Martha L Smalley martha.smalley at yale.edu
Wed Apr 4 13:39:47 EDT 2007

Please excuse cross-posting!

On May 17th, the Yale Collections Collaborative
(http://www.yale.edu/collections_collaborative/) will be sponsoring a
symposium that will serve as the kick-off event for the initiative's
efforts toward "mainstreaming collections reference."  We hope that
this symposium will provide an opportunity for all librarians and
curators across the Yale system to become more familiar with Yale's
primary source holdings and how to access them.

A draft schedule for the symposium can be found at
http://www.yale.edu/collections_collaborative/symposium.html.
Kenneth Hamma of Getty will present a keynote talk that promises to
be very interesting. Originally we were planning to have faculty
presentations about their use of primary sources in teaching, but the
end of the academic year seems to be a difficult time to recruit
faculty participation.  The symposium has been re-oriented to serve
as a kind of "get acquainted" and educational opportunity for Yale
librarians and curators.  We would like to fill you in on recent
activities of Collections Collaborative projects, have an opportunity
for discussion about education about and access to primary sources,
and allow time for Yale's various repositories to give presentations
about their holdings.  We would also like to schedule tours of the
repositories themselves after the plenary gathering has finished, if
there is sufficient interest.

Thank you to those who have already offered to give presentations
about their collections.
It would be great if a representative from the following collections
would also agree to give a brief presentation:
  - Area studies
-  Art gallery
-  Arts Library
-  Beinecke
-  Center for British Art
-  Music Library
-  Peabody Museum
-  SML - Research Services and Collections
The purpose of the presentation would be to give an overview of
available collections that contain primary source material related to
the designated topic. The topic is "Race, Gender, and Globalization"
- a purposefully broad range of subjects, in order to allow
participation by all repositories.  To get some concrete ideas about
the types of courses that are taught at Yale in these subject areas,
please see
https://research.yale.edu/irgg/studies.html.  Presentations could
focus in on a particular topic within this range, or be more
broad.  The idea is to inform your librarian and curator colleagues
about what is available and how they can best direct students and
faculty towards the material.

I would also like to know if someone from the various repositories
would be willing to lead an informal tour of their physical premises
following the end of the plenary meeting.

If you are able to attend the May 17th event, please submit the form
found at http://www.yale.edu/collections_collaborative/symposium.html
so that we can make catering arrangements.

Thanks for reading this long message.

Martha

Martha Lund Smalley
Special Collections Librarian / Curator of the Day Missions Collection
Yale Divinity School Library
409 Prospect St.  New Haven, CT 06511
Phone 203 432-5289  Fax 203 432-3906
Martha.Smalley at yale.edu