[Coll_Collab] Symposium / report / use of list

Jennifer Krivickas jennifer.krivickas at yale.edu
Thu Jan 4 10:20:16 EST 2007

Hello Martha,

I marked the date on the meeting maker, but the
truth is, I'm getting married that weekend (the
weekend of the 19th of May), so I may not be
there. That said, Kraig should be there as should
Elisabeth Fairman and perhaps others from the BAC.

Also, I think sending information via this list
(regarding our acquisition of special collex) sounds great.

Lastly, for the symposium, perhaps professors Tim
Barringer and/or Christopher Wood would be
interested in being involved in the symposium
some way. If you do contact them, feel free to
tell them that I suggested you do so.

Happy New Year~
Jen
-------------------
At 09:49 AM 1/4/2007, you wrote:
>Dear Collections Collaborative list members,
>
>Please save the date: On May 17th (aka Norwegian
>Independence Day!) the Collections Collaborative
>will be sponsoring a full day symposium that
>will serve as the kick-off event for
>initiative's efforts toward "mainstreaming
>collections reference." Especially in view of
>Yale's increased emphasis on primary sources in
>undergraduate teaching and the increased
>availability of primary sources in electronic
>format, we want to explore ways of integrating
>special collections and "regular" reference. We
>are envisioning four basic components for the
>symposium: a) an outside speaker to give an
>overview of issues: Kenneth Hamma of the J. Paul
>Getty Trust; b) a faculty panel to present to
>curators/librarians their views on issues
>related to access/use of special collections at
>Yale; c) presentations by curators/librarians
>about materials in their collections on a
>designated common theme; d) break-out sessions
>at various Yale collections to show physical
>objects/resources related to the theme.  We plan
>to invite reference staff from peer institutions as well.
>More later.....    If you know of faculty
>members who would be good candidates for serving
>on the panel, please let me know.
>
>The December 2006 progress report on the
>Collections Collaborative is available at
>http://www.yale.edu/collections_collaborative/CC2006report.doc.
>
>Finally, I have a question about the use of this
>list.  Do people think it would be profitable
>for the various Yale special collections to post
>brief notices about interesting new accessions,
>or materials newly available for research
>use?  For example, the Divinity Library recently
>received the papers of Henry W. and Elizabeth
>Luce, parents of Henry R. Luce, who were
>missionaries in China in the early part of their
>lives.  Would the posting of information like
>this on the list be a worthwhile way of raising
>consciousness about the types of materials being
>added? If the consensus is that it is
>worthwhile, would representatives of the various
>collections be willing to post the information on an ongoing basis?
>
>Martha
>
>P.S.  Please remember to submit brief re-grant
>proposals by January 25th:
>http://www.yale.edu/collections_collaborative/regrants07.html.
>

>Martha Lund Smalley
>Special Collections Librarian / Curator of the Day Missions Collection
>Yale Divinity School Library
>409 Prospect St.  New Haven, CT 06511
>Phone 203 432-5289  Fax 203 432-3906
>Martha.Smalley at yale.edu

Jennifer H Krivickas
Assistant Librarian, Reference Library & Photo Archive
Yale Center for British Art
1080 Chapel Street‚ PO Box 208280
New Haven‚ Connecticut 06520-8280
Phone: 203-432-2848