[Coll_Collab] Fwd: Special Collections Working Group at ARL

Martha L Smalley martha.smalley at yale.edu
Mon Jun 4 10:25:34 EDT 2007

Dear Collections Collaborative list members,

Alice asked me to forward to you the following report of her work
with the ARL Special Collections Working Group, in which our
colleague Michael Rush is also involved:

>I spent much of last week at the Association of Research Libraries'
>directors' meeting in St Louis, and on Wednesday we held the first
>meeting of the new Special Collections Working Group, which I chair
>and which Michael Rush from the Beinecke is serving as Visiting
>Program Officer.
>
>Below and attached are some details about the group, which I have
>excerpted from a longer message sent to the group in preparation for
>our meeting.  I thought it might be of interest to the Special
>Collections sub-committee and to members of the Collections
>Collaborative, to know that this group is at work, and in
>particular, to know of its close connection to Yale.
>
>The working group's first meeting consisted of a lively discussion including:
>
>         * how to define what we mean by collecting and collections
> ( issues around the harvesting and preservation of born-digital
> materials such as fugitive web-sites; questions relating to the
> role of records management in helping organizations to preserve
> their own records, e.g. in the arena of human rights; the need for
> sensitivity to other people's patrimony and the way digital
> surrogates could ensure preservation of content.)
>         * what we mean by "exposing" collections, e.g. in using
> them for teaching
>         * the relationship of this group to others at ARL,
> including the E-science group and a working group on Preservation.
>
>Having aired the issues in a wide-ranging way, we agreed that we
>want to focus on a definition for special collections in the 21st
>century, by which we mean a definition that will embrace the earlier
>material we continue to collect, and which is in danger of
>disappearing, as well as multi-media and electronic materials.  It
>is clear that we have a useful role to perform in defining good
>practice for the research library community.  We also wish to
>establish good communications about complementary collections.  This
>will support future collaborative endeavors.  To that end, we are
>asking ARL to set up a web site with information about all the
>special collections materials that were volunteered previously for a
>75th anniversary volume, to be produced in the fall.  (Each ARL
>library was asked to propose three possible areas of special
>collections that could be included in this celebratory volume, and
>the committee then chose one from each library.  Yale's contribution
>is Maps.) While we are nowhere near having a register/inventory of
>special collections in ARL libraries, this information is a good
>starting point.
>
>I'd like to keep you posted about the work of the ARL group from
>time to time.  Our next meeting will be in October, but we'll be
>exchanging information between now and then.
>
>Best wishes,
>
>Alice
>

>>Mark Dimunation, Library of Congress
>>Jackie Dooley, University of California- Irvine
>>Nancy Eaton, Pennsylvania State University
> [...]

Martha Lund Smalley
Special Collections Librarian / Curator of the Day Missions Collection
Yale Divinity School Library
409 Prospect St.  New Haven, CT 06511
Phone 203 432-5289  Fax 203 432-3906
Martha.Smalley at yale.edu