[Coll_Collab] Symposium follow-up

Martha L Smalley martha.smalley at yale.edu
Tue May 29 16:39:14 EDT 2007

Thank you again to those who participated in the May 17th Collections
Collaborative symposium
(http://www.yale.edu/collections_collaborative/symposium.html) and
who have contributed to the post-symposium wiki
(http://collectionscollab.pbwiki.com/).

Based on the comments posted on the wiki, I can see four areas in
which the Collections Collaborative could make concrete progress
during the coming year:
1) Development of a mechanism for improving communication about new
accessions or newly processed collections (and perhaps also
communication about "instruction" activities.)
2) Development of more dynamic subject-related guides that include an
emphasis on primary source material, perhaps with faculty and
classeV2 connections.
3) A cross-collection search mechanism
4) Biannual forums related to primary sources at Yale, with faculty
and graduate student involvement.

A couple of these areas are already being addressed by re-grant
projects, particularly the cross-collection search project (WWI Phase
2) and the cross-collection subject guides for special collections,
but I would like to propose the formation of two task forces as follows:

1) Task Force to investigate/develop a mechanism for improving
communication about new accessions or newly processed collections.
(See the comments under (a) at
http://collectionscollab.pbwiki.com/break-outsessions for more
detail.)  If you would like to serve on this task force, please let
me know (having checked with your supervisor as appropriate.)

2) Task Force to re-imagine/refresh the pages found at
http://www.library.yale.edu/instruction/primsource.html and
investigate ways of making this information more accessible.
The following people have already volunteered to help out with the
"Primary Sources at Yale" web pages: Kathryn James, Diane Kaplan, Jen
Pollock, Mike Widener.  If you would like to join this group, please
let me know.

We will plan another forum for the fall.  I'll be soliciting ideas
for that later in the summer.

Thanks
Martha

Martha Lund Smalley
Special Collections Librarian / Curator of the Day Missions Collection
Yale Divinity School Library
409 Prospect St.  New Haven, CT 06511
Phone 203 432-5289  Fax 203 432-3906
Martha.Smalley at yale.edu