Falcate Orangetip Field Trip

jhimmel at connix.com jhimmel at connix.com
Sun Apr 25 22:47:09 EDT 1999

This was sent to me by Thomas Dodd who led a butterfly trip to West Rock for his
Massachussetts organization.  Thought some of you'd be interested.  Don't
forget, the CBA has a trip going there next Saturday(10AM) led by Larry Gall.

John Himmelman

Hi folks,

We had a field trip to West Rock Ridge State Park in New Haven, CT today
(4/25/99 10:30AM-2:45PM - 55F at start - perfect cloudless day!). Cathy Dodd,
Dave Small, Dolores Price and myself attended. We walked into the park from
the Wintergreen Lake entrance (I hadn't been in this entrance before). We
decided to just walk a dirt road to the ridge beyond a water tower. We found
a Box Turtle (pretty cool!), Am Toads singing, and a couple Wild Turkeys. We
also saw a few Spring Azures and Juvenals Duskywing - but no Orangetips.
We then drove to the main entrance (a mile or so south on Wintergreen Ave)
and walked the paved switchbacks to the ridge. Good numbers of Yel Rump
Warblers and Ruby Cr Kinglets were seen. Not too much for butterflies were
found until we got to a fork in the road near the top. We went to the right
and searched the fields and saw a few species of butterflies, but most
species were found following the road to the left. We found 1 female Falcate
Orangetip along the road here! It was not flying much, so we all got good
looks at it. Initially it was observed nectaring on some violets. Our search
for others (especially a male) was not successful. At the top we also found
Gray Hairstreak, Juniper Hairstreak, Brown Elfin, numerous Mourning Cloaks
and then 3 Tiger Swallowtails following the ridge line. A few raptors (Br
Wing Hawk, Merlin, Kestrel, RT Hawk and TV) were also seen. A very successful
trip!

Spring Azure (form unknown) 12
Spring Azure (form Marginata) 1
Juvenals Duskywing 10