Monarchs in Trumbull!

Rumohr at aol.com Rumohr at aol.com
Sat Jul 17 07:27:06 EDT 1999

Greetings! I am now happy to report many Monarch sightings and am now a
"Happy Camper"! I have spent many hours in my own garden and the school
garden Wed,Thurs and Fri keeping the beds well watered in all this heat. On
Friday, the school butterfly garden, in its second summer, was a flurry with
butterflies. during a 10 minute period, I spotted:
		6 Monarchs
		1 Silver Spotted Skipper
		2 Painted Ladies
		2 Great Spangled Fritillaries
		1 Tiger Swallowtail
		1 Coral Hairstreak- I think,used Peterson's Guide, but can't
be postive-( it landed on my wrist and stayed, guess it liked the sweat!)
		At school we have an enclosed courtyard in which we grow
pumpkins,sunflowers and vegetables in raised beds. There is a clump of Swamp
Milkweed in our sunflower garden. Friday a female Monarch laid many eggs just
during the short time I observed her.
 	In my home garden, there are fewer varieties but I saw a beautiful
Buckeye on Thurs. There are many Monarch eggs on my asclepias and I gather as
many as I can. My former students(I taught 1st grade) and fellow garden club
members come looking for eggs  to raise and release.
	Needless to say, these gardens are only a small example of what a
community of butterfly gardens could provide for our CT butterfly population!
						With a flutter and a flurry!
Ruthie Mohr