Surprise "moth" at my lights

jhimmel at connix.com jhimmel at connix.com
Tue Jul 20 08:41:22 EDT 1999

Hi Folks,

I checked my light sheet at 8 this morning - another Widow Underwing and an Ilia
Underwing, 3 Blinded Sphinxes, tons of Painted Lichen Moths, various Tussock
Moths, and at the bottom of the sheet, I found a Banded Hairstreak.  For some
reason, every once in a while I find a Banded or Striped Hairstreak on the sheet
the following morning.  Then I noticed another Hairstreak on the other end.  It
turned out to be a fresh, crisp White M!!

I have a question, and I'm going to post this on the larger lep-serve as well;
What brings the butterflies to the sheet.  For one thing, they have always been
hairstreaks.  Are they passing through at the wee hours and intersepted by a
place to land, or are they actually attracted to the ultra violet light?

Anyway, after the Silver-spotted Ghost Moth, this was my best find in years!

John
John Himmelman
Killingworth, CT USA
jhimmel at connix.com