Question Mark (Polygonia interrogationis)

geraldine golet gzgolet at ibm.net
Mon Mar 29 12:48:21 EST 1999

Up in Nehantic Forest (Lyme) this morning trying to get my first Pine Warbler (no luck) but did see three Mourning Cloaks and a Question Mark. I did not have my field guide but did sketch and take notes. Back home and checking my guides, I find I did draw in the horizontal subapical mark (FW).  Glassbergs Boston-New York-Washington has the best representation of what I saw.  Plate 16, # 1 and 5.  The long tails and violaceous (I noted gray) fringe and orangeish hind wing were also seen clearly.  With wings folded, picture # 5 is identical.

Hank Golet
Old Lyme