East Haddam Butterflies 8/21/00 - NO Leonard's Skipper yet

Clay Taylor CTaylor at worldnet.att.net
Tue Aug 22 12:10:49 EDT 2000

Wow - a rarity this summer; I had a day off and the weather was =
beautiful!!!
   =20
Anyway, my yard in Moodus was host to;
E. Tiger Swallowtails (6)
G. Spangled Fritillaries (at least 4)
Dun Skippers
N. Broken-Dashes (both sexes)
Tawny-edged Skipper
Red Admiral
Silver-spotted Skipper (3)
Zabulon Skipper (2)
Least Skipper - not often seen in my yard!
Unid. Hairstreak - cruised through and briefly landed, but I couldn't =
get a look at it.  Darn!  I was hoping for something other than a =
probable Gray Hairstreak. =20
    All in all, not many individuals. Primary nectaring plants; =
Buddleia, Zinnia, P. Coneflower, some late Orange Milkweed.

 Elsewhere in Moodus / East Haddam:

Brainard Homestead S.P.on Creek Row Rd
Least Skipper (50+ in the mowed field!)
Spicebush Swallowtail
Pearl Crescent (4)
Dun Skipper
Peck's skipper
Zabulon Skipper
Red-spotted Purple

Boardman Road pond;
Red-spotted Purple
E. Tailed-Blue
Peck's Skipper (2)
Dun Skipper (6+)
Tawny-edged Skipper (2)
N. Broken-Dash (5+)
Silver-Spotted Skipper (6+)
E. Tiger Swallowtail (2)
Pearl Crescent (4)
Cabbage White
I saw NO Lenny's there, but they should be showing up soon.
Lots of Joe-Pye Weed, Goldenrod, Tall Sunflower for nectaring.

Clay Taylor
Clay Taylor