Winter Moths

PONDHAWK at aol.com PONDHAWK at aol.com
Mon Dec 11 19:12:53 EST 2000

Why let winter get in the way of seeing leps? There are now good numbers of
male Fall Cankerworm Moths flying in the woods here in Queens, and an
abundance of wingless females on tree trunks. This evening I also found a
very late and worn Copper Underwing on a tree trunk. It was barely able to
move in the 40 degree temperature. I picked it up to bring home for positive
identification. The warmth of my house revived it and it's weakly flying
around somewhere in here now. Another species that I found on a tree trunk
remains unidentified (looks like a geometer).

And then every time it starts to get interesting, here comes another cold
front.

Steve Walter
Bayside, NY