New London Butterfly Count - 7/15/00

Clay Taylor CTaylor at worldnet.att.net
Tue Jul 11 11:11:17 EDT 2000

Hi all -
    With the great butterfly counts during the past week ( 46 species on the E. Haddam count, 47 on the Salisbury count), I hope we can top those numbers at the New London count this weekend.  We will meet at Haley Farm State Park in Groton on Saturday, July 15, 2000 at 8am.  In case of bad weather, the rain date will be Sunday.  For directions to Haley, please call me (work 800-426-3089 x2959 or home 860-873-9078).

    Those of you that have never been to Haley in July will be in for a treat - over 1000 blossoming Butterfly Weed (A. tuberosa) plants, with lots of attendant butterflies.  We were the national high count of Coral Hairstreaks a few years ago, and if conditions are right, we could see over 100 of them!

    We will cover Haley Farm as a group until about 11am, then split up and cover other areas in New London county including the Hackberry groves by Conn College, the Baltimore Checkerspots of Harkness Memorial S.P., and the joys of hiking Bluff Point.
I will cover the NABA fee for all participants that butterfly with the group that day.

    After the butterflying, you can hang around the area for the big OPSAIL fireworks display that evening!

Clay Taylor
ctaylor at swarovskioptik.com