No Subject

Rumohr at aol.com Rumohr at aol.com
Thu May 11 22:32:00 EDT 2000

On Sunday I spotted many milkweed pips in my garden,one about 4 inches tall.
On Monday at noon with the temperature over 90 degrees, I saw a Monarch
enjoying my garden but was too busy to spend time watching her activities.
Wednesday morning I checked my plants and on the tallest pip there were 13
eggs!!! One leaf had 6 eggs in 2 rows! I have raised Monarchs for 15 years
and never have seen that many eggs on one small plant.
    I brought the plant inside in order to share the caterpillars with my
fellow teachers. Today (Thursday)I found 14 more eggs on 5 very small pips.
The eggs were even on the stems of the plants. 5 teachers from another school
will have these to raise with their children!
    I have not seen Monarchs this early in CT before. So exciting!
I also saw a tiny brilliant blue butterfly in Milford but can't ID it. Also a
very bright tiny butterfly in my garden but have no clue as to what it is.
Ruthie