Migrating butterflies?

GGrayWhite at aol.com GGrayWhite at aol.com
Thu Oct 5 11:30:41 EDT 2000

I've been interested to read people's accounts of migrating butterflies, but
wondered how much was known about the migrations of species other than
Monarchs.  I understand from John Himmelman that some species like Mourning
Cloaks and Red Admirals are going to warmer places to overwinter--but I
wonder if most if the locally born individuals move on, or just a subset, and
if individuals from farther north make up the population that overwinters
here.  Does anyone know?  Also, can anyone explain why Sulphurs appear to be
migrating?  --Grace Gray