wasps

Diane Adams barnacle at portone.com
Sat Aug 18 11:37:44 EDT 2001

I'm still collecting eggs on my milkweed, and collecting milkweed leaves
for my cats, but I've been finding it to be a bit more challenging
lately, as my milkweed patch has become COVERED with assorted
yellowjackets and other wasps.  The eggs I'm finding look as though they
were left rather haphazardly--on the tops of leaves, frequently one
neighboring leaves, etc.  The wasps appear to be feeding on the milkweed
leaves, but I did just read in a Monarch Watch (dplex-l) email that
wasps and yellowjackets attack and eat monarchs and other butterflies
:-(  Any thoughts?  Or suggestions for when I'm releasing my monarchs as
they emerge?  I now have 7 chrysalides, 9 cats (one of which is
currently hanging & should change by morning), and 6 eggs.  I brought
them in to protect them--I don't want to release them to a band of
hungry yellowjackets!!

Diane Adams
Chester