Guilford coast

bill and Dale droberts03 at snet.net
Thu Aug 23 19:21:37 EDT 2001

Hi everyone'
      Yesterday on the coast of Guilford CT in the salt marshes and
meadows the following were observed.
Hackberry Emperor- one
American Snout Butterfly- two
Broadwing Skipper- 100+ ( a preposterous plentitude of this skipper this
year.)
Peck's skipper-abundant
Zabulon Skipper- two
Monarchs- 100++ (also at least another 100 at Hammonassett Beach
Butterfly garden and Meigs Point parking area)
Plus the usual suspects.
For those that like their leps un-clubbed: Two Ailanthus Webworm moths,
one on  New York Ironweed and the other on Goldenrod at Mulberry Farm
Rd. clam farm property. Although I've been told this is fairly common
day flying flower visitor these were the first of the year for me. There
was a nice diversity of butterflies here, nothing rare but several
individuals representitive of different families. It's a small coastal
property, an abandoned farm owned and cared for by the Guilford Land
Conservation Trust. This was also the site of the Snout Butterflies and
I suspect this area may be productive in the coming month for those
inclined to check such things out. Also found here, for those with the
dragon-eye, Needham's Skimmer in the tiny farm pond at the edge of the
field.
     Also for the dragonhunters, feeding swarms have started at the
coast and several thousand dragons were observed in the marshes. Green
darners, Black Saddlebags, Twelve-spotted Skimmers and Wandering
Gliders. There may have aslo been Spot-wing Gliders but I didn't
identify any.
    That's my story, I'm stickin' to it.
                                                                 Bill
Yule