yard butterflies - 8/23

Clay Taylor CTaylor at swarovskioptik.com
Fri Aug 24 00:09:24 EDT 2001

All -

    Saw two species in my yard today that have not been seen there in quite some time - Common Sootywing (super fresh - purple sheen on the wings - Actually my FIRST one of the year!!) in the garden, and a Broad-winged Skipper on my white Buddleia.  The nearest patch of phragmites to my house is about a half-mile away, so Bill's comments about B-WS abundance rings true.

    Also, I had a Monarch at my Buddleia that was covered with what I initially thought was pollen, but after seeing the photos, I'm not so sure.   Comments,anyone?

Clay Taylor