First "Spring" Moth (NY)

Steve Walter SWalter at nyc.rr.com
Wed Feb 14 18:27:52 EST 2001

Today I found what I think is a Small Phigalia (family Geometridae) in Alley Pond Park, Queens. I call this the first "spring" moth because the species I mentioned a couple of weeks ago -- the Fall Cankerworm Moth -- seems to fly predominantly before winter really sets in. I'm not sure what the life history is, but the late winter ones seem to be leftovers. I did find one today. Also, a couple of Spring Peepers are starting to stir. It's getting closer.

Steve Walter
Bayside, NY