First Leps

Steve Walter SWalter at nyc.rr.com
Wed Jan 31 17:54:34 EST 2001

Let there be life! We got the temperature up to 54 here in Queens yesterday and up to about 49 today. With it came the first leps of the year today! Actually, the same species as the last one of 2000 -- Fall Cankerworm Moth. I found two males and one flightless female on tree trunks in Alley Park. Also, about 15 inches above the first moth that I found was a beetle moving about -- this of the genus Ellychnia, which is in the firefly family but without light organs. It's not much but it's a start.

Steve Walter
Bayside, NY