What's wrong with this picture?

Clay Taylor CTaylor at swarovskioptik.com
Mon Jul 2 10:01:13 EDT 2001

All -

    Had a good time butterflying at Echo Farm State Park in Moodus yesterday - TONS of Great-Spangled Frits, decent numbers of species that are fairly common right now, etc.  There are some big stands of flowering milkweed, and the big Dogbane patch was hopping.

    That's where I saw this hairstreak - my initial reaction was "Hickory!!!"   Look at the white borders on both sides of the under-hindwing bars!

    However, there are a few things that don't jibe with the other Hickory field marks - the cell-end bar is not in line with the first postmedian spot, and the amount of black in the orange spot takes up less than half of the spot, instead of more than half.  Glassberg also states that the blue spot should extend farther into the wing, almost touching the postmedian spots.

    I think this is a Banded, but want to know if the amount of white on both sides  of the spots is within the range of normal, or is this one excessive?

Clay