Waterbury Count

Greg Hanisek ghanisek at rep-am.com
Sat Jul 14 17:34:57 EDT 2001

On Monday, 9 July a small group of us conducted a Waterbury Area Butterfly Count. Participants were myself, Bob Barbieri, Clay Taylor and Hank Golet. The list of 44 species shows that this area, which includes the City of Waterbury and areas west as far as Bent of the River in Southbury, has great potential. I've done this count a few times in the past but haven't been able to muster enough participants in some years. Hopefully this list-serve will help make it a regular effort. I did it somewhat at the last minute this year, mostly through Clay's urging. As a reward, I sent him and Hank to Bent of the River, where they contributed some of the substantial numbers as well as the two best butterflies of the count, Aphrodite Fritillary and Northern Pearly Eye. Clay has a beautiful pix of the Aphrodite. Below are the results

Greg Hanisek

Black Swallowtail, 1; E. Tiger Swallowtail, 16; Spicebush Swallowtail, 4; Cabbage White, 172; Clouded Sulphur, 45; Orange Sulphur, 85; American Copper, 17; Coral Hairstreak, 1; Acadian Hairstreak, 11; Banded Hairstreak, 2; hairstreak sp., 1; E. Tailed Blue, 5; Summer Azure, 1; Great Spangled Fritillary, 171; Aphrodite Fritillary, 1; Meadow Fritillary, 13; Pearl Crescent, 7; Question Mark, 3; E. Comma, 9; Mourning Cloak, 1; American Lady, 14; Painted Lady, 2; Red Admiral, 53; Red-spotted Purple, 1; Viceroy, 3; N. Pearly Eye, 1; Appalachian Brown, 3; Little Wood Satyr, 19; C. Wood Nymph, 159; Monarch, 7; Silver-spotted Skipper, 43; Hoary Edge, 4; Southern Cloudywing, 5; Wild Indigo Duskywing, 4; C. Sootywing, 3; Least Skipper, 5; European Skipper, 17; Crossline Skipper, 1; N. Broken Dash, 130; Little Glassywing, 96; Delaware Skipper, 37; Mulberry Wing, 4; Black Dash, 3; Dun Skipper, 153; skipper sp, 20.