Interpretive help?

MariaAA at aol.com MariaAA at aol.com
Sun Jul 15 23:33:33 EDT 2001

Today in my parents' backyard in Wilbraham, MA I saw the most exquisite
diurnal, butterfly-mimicking moth--an Eight-Spotted Forester (Alypia
octomaculata), according to my Peterson's.  It was nectaring, I believe, on
some white-flowered ornamental, with wings up (like a butterfly), and had
these crazy bright-red tufts on the fore and middle legs.  Its flight
reminded me of tropical heliconia-type butterflies.  Does anyone have any
other info on this creature's seemingling interesting morphological,
behavioral and ecological adaptations?

Thanks,
Maria Aliberti