Red Admiral up close & personal and other notes

Roy Zartarian royzart at connix.com
Wed Jul 18 13:15:57 EDT 2001

One of this morning's business tasks involved going over to a spot
bounded by some decent butterfly & bird territory.  As I was
standing still, a Red Admiral landed on my necktie and began
probing with its proboscis.  It did so for about 45 seconds as I
watched, then moved over to the sleeve of my sportcoat and stayed
on until I moved. Now I'm curious as to the attraction of the
garments, both of which are silk. The tie is a blue/gray/white/gold
pattern and the coat a gray plaid. I don't think I've slopped anything
onto either.

The past week was one  of firsts with sightings in Newington of a
Mourning Cloak and a Great Spangled Fritillary.  The former was in
a nearby nature trail and the latter came to the still evolving
butterfly garden. The horticultural endeavor also attracted an
eastern tailed blue. Granted, the more experienced members of
this list would find the observations not especially remarkable, but
for this novice they were memorable.

Roy