Some sightings from Newington

Roy Zartarian royzart at connix.com
Tue Jul 31 18:29:18 EDT 2001

Since Glassberg describes it as uncommon for this area, this
afternoon's sighting (a personal first) in the fledgling butterfly garden
of a red-spotted purple was especially gratifying.  It was netted
(twice - the second time was in the living room), identified against
the book and released.

A great spangled fritillary, eastern tailed blue, and American lady
make occasional visits, and I have discovered that if I delay my
lunch break by a half hour, the sightings are more frequent.

Has there been an increase in the number of clearwing
hummingbird moths this year? Or is it that I am now noticing them
more?

Roy