East Haddam flying stuff 06/01

Rumohr at aol.com Rumohr at aol.com
Sat Jun 2 10:36:18 EDT 2001

My list is short indeed compared to yours as a morning spent in grson's
nursery school, few hours at Barnes and Noble buying kids books limits my out
door viewing time but last night in Norwalk while visiting family I spotted a
Pileated woodpecker and followed it from tree to tree around thier yard for a
good 20 minutes. I was so thrilled as I had never seen one so close. My uncle
had remarked earlier that a few weeks ago they had a tree removed and its
center was so filled with ants (quote) " We needed 2 cans of insect spray to
kill them all". Since they (my 85 yr old aunt and uncle) don't like messy
birdfeeders , they have little understanding what a great habitat their yard
complete gardens and a fine woodlands, is. The felled tree was probably a
prized source of food for that magnificent bird. Always looking for
wings,Ruthie Mohr