Red Admirals

Steve Walter SWalter at nyc.rr.com
Sat Jun 2 22:54:38 EDT 2001

"And watch for other species as the season progresses, including Painted
Ladies, Common Buckeyes, Variegated Fritillaries, and Monarchs. Then there
are the return flights in the fall, but that's for another day."

Don't get your hopes up too high. I've been watching these things for about
a dozen years from a pretty good vantage point (Long Island) and I've yet to
see a year in which all of the migratory Nymphalids irrupted. I'd say we
haven't even seen a year in which all have came up in as much as average
numbers. In fact, I think we already would have seen it if Painted Lady were
having a big year, so that's at least one non-player.

Let me add that the Ladies do not appear to stage a return flight in the
fall. Red Admirals certainly do, as do Question Mark, Mourning Cloak, and of
course Monarch.

Steve Walter