field notes-Bauer Park-Madison

JH jhimmel at connix.com
Wed Jun 6 15:38:15 EDT 2001

As to this mystery Bauer Park Skipper - Clay - it was not a Pocohontas.  It was missing the two subterminal spots present on this species.  We specifically noted its abscence while I had it sitting on my finger (it stayed there a long time).  I am now fairly certain it was a Dusted - but one that was unbelievably small!  I would say it was about 2/3 the size of your typical Dusted.  That's what threw us off.  An important field mark on this butterfly - one I have never paid much attention to (but will for now on!)  was the little white dot on the ventral side of the hindwing.  I don't know of any other similar-looking skippers in our area that have that.  What also through us off and led us in the direction of Clouded Skipper was the written description of this butterfly  describing a white spot on the hindwing - HOWEVER - we missed that fact that the description was of the DORSAL surface, not ventral!  I didn't realize that until reviewing it late last night.

That said - in every way, except for that white spot which I believe is the giveaway in this case - this was identical to a Clouded Skipper, most notably the frosting in the mid hindwing.  But alas...  Not that Dusted was not a good find in itself!

As I said to Bill Yule when I emailed him my thoughts on this, this is what makes me love this group of butterflies - keeps you on your toes.

John
John Himmelman
Killingworth, CT USA
jhimmel at connix.com