migrants

BrianRFG at aol.com BrianRFG at aol.com
Thu Jun 7 14:06:45 EDT 2001

Hi,
    We're in the midst of a great Red Admiral migration, as you all know, and
at the tail end of a terrific American Lady migration and perhaps in the
first stages of a Painted Lady migration. Painted Ladies are having a
colossal flight in the West and, of course, every year at least some make it
to southern New England, usually in late summer and fall. Lately, though,
there have been some intriguing sightings, including ten yesterday at the top
of Mt. Greylock. I saw a beauty two days ago in Easton and two in my Foxboro
yard today (both well traveled by the looks of them).
Now last year at this time (on the Mass. Biodiversity Days) about 30 towns or
so reported Painted Lady sightings. Frankly, I don't believe any of them were
bonafide Painted Ladies that arrived from the South but rather school
releases (common in our area in late May-early June) or misidentifications,
since all of the regular butterfly watchers were seeing none. This year,
however, there have been a number of Painted Lady sightings recently (away
from schools!) and my guess is that these are the vanguard of a flight.
Please look at all the ladies if you can and don't assume that they are all
American Ladies - there may well be a number of Painted Ladies or, perhaps,
who knows, most of the ladies flying by with the admirals may indeed be
Painted Ladies.
    Brian Cassie