White Admiral

Greg Hanisek ghanisek at rep-am.com
Tue Jun 12 18:49:02 EDT 2001

I thought it might be worth noting that I had a White Admial Sunday in my neighborhood in Waterbury. (Although in the city, the area is heavily wooded and rocky). The Admiral shot across the street while I was taking a walk and disappeared into the greenery.
   Also today I did a short survey at Andy Brand's request. Results are below:
Sunny Valley Preserve, New Milford

June 12, 2001 10:15 AM to 12:15 p.m.

70-80 F. ptly cloudy, light NE wind

Greg Hanisek

Tiger Swallowtail - 4

Clouded Sulphur - 5

Orange Sulphur - 5

Cabbage White - 3

Eastern Tailed Blue - 1

Pearl Crescent - 1

Great Spangled Fritillary - 1

Little Wood Satyr - 2

Common Ringlet - 12

Painted Lady - 2

American Lady - 3

Question Mark - 3

Red Admiral - 31

Silver-spotted Skipper - 2

Duskywing sp. - 1 (very worm, I think Juvenal's)

Hobomok Skipper - 1

Zabulon Skipper - 1

Peck's Skipper - 3

Tawny Edge Skipper - 6

European Skipper - 295

Least Skipper - 2

Long Dash - 1

NOTES - Virtually all of the skippers were nectaring on either Viccia sp. or Berteroa incana. The Berteroa also attracted all of the Ladies, most of the Sulphurs, a few Red Admirals and two C. Ringlets. Red Admirals also were found at several nettle patches and moving around whole area. The omnipresent Euro Skippers were also found in small numbers on Rorippa, Hieracium and Taxaxacum.

Dragonflies - Green Darner, 3 (all juvs); Whitetail Skimmer - 2 males, 5 females; Widow Skimmer - 1 female