Hairstreaks!

Clay Taylor CTaylor at swarovskioptik.com
Tue Jun 19 00:34:58 EDT 2001

Hi All -

While scouting for Tuesday's Madison /Old Lyme Summer Butterfly Count, I saw my first hairstreaks of the year (yes, I missed the early Junipers) - Banded Hairstreaks on the dirt portion of Kelseytown Road, and a stunning Hickory Hairstreak in Winthrop!  After agonizing over dozens of those maybe/maybe-not hairstreaks, this one was never in doubt - the white on both sides of the dashes, the black spot filling half of the orange spot, etc.  Hope it's there on Tuesday!!!

Since I was scouting locations, I wasn't keeping a serious tally of individuals
Other butterflies;
Spicebush Swallowtail
Cabbage White
Orange Sulphur - fresh
Clouded Sulphur - worn
E Tailed-blue - 2 fresh
Pearl Crescent - worn
Great Spangled Fritillary - multiple sites
Question Mark
Red-spotted Purple
Red Admiral
Least Skipper
Peck's Skipper
Tawny-edged Skipper - in the clutches of a Robber Fly
European Skipper

If anyone wants to cover Hammonasset Beach State Park on Tuesday for the Count, I'd appreciate it.

Clay Taylor