Euro skip

bill and Dale droberts03 at snet.net
Tue Jun 19 12:39:47 EDT 2001

Here in North Guilford I haven't noticed unusal numbers of European
skippers yet but they are increasing daily. Greg wrote "Vicca sp" which
I assume is a "typo error" for Vicia sp' and what he refers to are the
common species of vetch, cow vetch, purple vetch etc. I've noticed that
euro's are inordinately found of cow vetch (Vicia cracca) and in my
fields if I have lots of cow vetch I have lots of euros. I let my cow
vetch self-sow and this year I don't have much and what I do have is
flowering late so I expect that as more vetch comes into flower I'll see
more euros. I should mention that my pastures do not have a large
component of timothy (Euros host plant). Is it possible that Greg is
seeing a large local population because of an abundance of host plant in
his area?

Bill Yule