Hamden leps

Anthony Zemba AZemba at maguiregroup.com
Mon Jun 25 09:40:13 EDT 2001

Thanks Andy:

This species is a more southernly ranging member of the gooseberry family (Grossulariaceae), typically found from southern NJ and e. Penn. south to Florida and Louisiana. It is also commonly known as "Virginia Willow" (Gleason and Cronquist, 1991). It appears that you have found it growing well here in CT. It does not appear on the Preliminary Checklist of the Vascular Flora of Connecticut Growing Without Cultivation (Dowhan, 1979).  Is this a landscaped shrub that needs special care to grow here (ie. to survive our winters?).  I would like to find out more about it. It does not appear on the Connecticut list of Non-native Invasive and Potentially Invasive Vascular Plants in Connecticut (Mehrhoff, et. al, 2001), which is my first criteria when recommending new plants.

Anthony J. Zemba
Senior Environmental Scientist
Maguire Group, Inc.
One Court Street
New Britain, CT
06051

Cited:
Dowhan, Joseph, J., 1979. Preliminary Checklist of the Vascular Flora of Connecticut. State Geological and Natural History Survey of Connecticut. The Natural Resources Center of the Department of Environmental Protection. Report of Investigations No. 8.

Gleason, Henry A. and Arthur Cronquist, 1991. Manual of Vascular Plants, 2nd. Ed. New York Bortanical Gardens

Mehrhoff, L. J., K. J. Metzler, and. E.E. Corrigan, 2001. Connecticut list of Non-native Invasive and Potentially Invasive Vascular Plants in Connecticut
Center for Conservation and Biodiversity, University of Connecticut, Storrs.