Fly by night Admirals

Steve Walter SWalter at nyc.rr.com
Fri Jun 29 18:45:37 EDT 2001

Last night we had a moth program at Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge. Among the
visitors to the black light was a Red Admiral. Another Red Admiral came in
in front of the visitor center, in response to the regular lights. At least
it was no surprise that they were in the area, as it was swarming with Red
Admirals, Question Marks, and Eastern Commas, which in combination with
numerous beetles and flies, nearly ate us of out bait before the moths had a
crack at it. Also included in the pre-dark assault were a Nessus Sphinx and
another sphinx which I'll attempt to ID from the not so great in flight
pictures. Finally, in the pre-dark activities, was a Banded Hairstreak, rare
in the oak-less environs of Jamaica Bay. After dark, the milkweed it had
been visiting (and other milkweeds and butterfly bush) were very much alive
with nectar seeking moths (to throw out a few names - Ipsilon Dart, Banded
Tussock Moth, and Large Maple Spanworm Moth). 6 Io Moths highlighted the
black light visitation. Several Gray Tree Frogs were observed on trees
baited with mung, to round out an entertaining evening / night.

Steve Walter