More Admirals

bill and Dale droberts03 at snet.net
Tue May 29 16:23:48 EDT 2001

Not to belabor the Red Admiral discussion but a question for those pros
out there, you know who you are. Many people have responded to my
question about how high the numbers are for Red Admirals and a possible
irruption,  however most responses echo Greg's comment that there are
not great numbers in any one spot but rather one or two in most spots
that are investigated. So my question is this: Is there any known
combination of landforms and locale that would serve as a bottleneck
that would concentrate northerly migrating butterflies in the sense that
there are known Hawkwatch locations or migrant bird traps? Is there a
spring butterfly equivilent to Cape May? Where would one go to look for
a horde of migrating Admirals in CT?
Also, today in my gardens and pasture,with more than three hours of
bright sunlight, I had more than 20 Red Admirals by a very conservative
count allowing for repeats.
                                 Bill Yule