monarchs

Diane Adams barnacle at portone.com
Wed Oct 3 16:20:31 EDT 2001

Released my last monarch yesterday morning.  It emerged over the
weekend, but I didn't want to toss it out into the rain!  That made a
total of 28 raised and released--14 male, 13 female, one unknown (I gave
the chrysalis to a friend who didn't know how to tell). Not a bad year.
I saved a few milkweed pods--hopefully I'll be able to attract a few to
my new home next year!  I also saw one monarch flying by Cedar Lake
today--possibly the one I released yesterday?

For the slug caterpillar folks--as we were packing up last week,
considering which plants to try to take with us, I noticed a critter
hanging out on an iris leaf.  Went home to check out my "Caterpillars of
the Eastern Forests"--it was definitely a Saddleback Caterpillar.  After
reading about it, I'm glad I didn't touch it!

Still seeing assorted Cabbage Whites and sulphurs...

Diane Adams
Chester