White M Hairstreak

Elise & Karl Barry ksbarry at gis.net
Tue Sep 4 18:40:41 EDT 2001

Hi,

A report from Fisher's Island, 4 miles south of Groton, CT, from Monday,
the 3rd, when it was lower 70s, warm in the sun but with a cool breeze - we
were biking from 10:30 to about 4:30 but much of it was mid-island where
there isn't much for nectaring:

Black Swallowtail, 2
Tiger Swallowtail, 2
Spicebush, 1
Cabbage White, 36
Clouded Sulpher, 3
Orange Sulpher, 1
American Lady, 2
Painted Lady, 9
Ladies spp., 3
Viceroy, 2
Monarch, 20

Everything was pretty much just hanging out and nectaring, floating on the
breeze, including us.

Back for a 5-minute look at Worcester Airport yielded:

Orange Sulfur, 1
2 Ladies, 1 of them the Painted - a first here. (Also had a first ever
Painted Lady in my own
                                                                    yard in
Paxton last weekend)
Viceroy, 1