The Next Crazy Butterfly Event

Steve Walter SWalter at nyc.rr.com
Sat Apr 6 21:40:19 EST 2002

Temperatures got to 45 degrees at best today -- hardly a day to think about
butterflies. I did stumble into 2 individuals at Sandy Hook, NJ, however.
One was an Orange Sulphur -- no big deal. The other was an amazingly early
Pearl Crescent. A few minutes later I saw snow flurries. Quite a combination
in the same day. The previous early date for northern NJ is April 18. New
York's early date is April 26. Also, a few Forage Looper Moths were moving
around.

I only went to Sandy Hook today because I was half way there by going for
the Western Grebe found on Staten Island this week. At Sandy Hook, I got to
see an Eared Grebe. Not a bad same day combination either, for the east
coast. (Since I mentioned it, if anyone on this listserv is interested,
directions can be found by going to the Rare Bird Alert transcripts on
www.virtualbirder.com )

Steve Walter