fen butterflies

Dale Roberts/Bill Yule droberts03 at SNET.Net
Tue Apr 16 11:31:10 EDT 2002

Sunday I took a hike to Coan's Pond in Madison which is a fen or bog-like habitat.  This is what was happening--
Duskywing sp.-- I assume this was Juvenal's Duskywing but I did not net it.  I would say that it was small, very dark (almost black) and the fringe was almost white.
Azures--  30-35 individuals almost all of them mating, many flying in tandem.  As I said before I've always called them Spring Azures but with all the recent discussion on the lep sites about polymorphism and cryptic species I'll just call them Azures.  They were flying all along the fen edge where there is lots of Spirea boardered by a rocky upland with scrub oaks.
                                    Bill Yule