From Newington - 8/3&4

Roy Zartarian rzartarian at snet.net
Sun Aug 4 20:10:24 EDT 2002

If four different  sightings of Eastern Tiger Swallowtails (Stop & Shop
parking lot yesterday, church parking lot, Young Farm (2), Rt 2 in
Glastonbury all today) are any indication, activity even up here is
definitely on the upswing

Yesterday evening's dog walk coincided with the appearance of a fresh and
mostly cooperative Question Mark at the I 291 ROW field on Maple Hill Ave.
Just as the book says, it kept returning to the same area and offered up a
good viewing opportunity.

In addition to the Swallowtails and the usual Cabbage Whites and Clouded
Sulphurs, today's sweltering trek through the Young Farm also turned up a
Silver spotted Skipper, a Common Wood Nymph, a few Pearl Crescents, and two
Monarchs.  I had the opportunity at last to see one laying an egg.

Roy