In Search of Underwings

Lawrence F. Gall lawrence.gall at yale.edu
Thu Aug 15 12:17:42 EDT 2002

I'd echo Steve's comments on the apparent dip in the Catocala (underwing)
crop this year.  Tapping tree trunks in the blasting late afternoon heat
for a while produced very little on two recent outings at the Westport
Nature Center, Fairfield County: just a few C. amica (Girlfriend), one
C. ultronia, and one C. palaeogama (Old Wife).  My expectation would
have been much more from this site in general, which I get to fairly
regularly from year to year, and especially the sultry conditions.

The fact that Steve is seeing C. blandula (Charming) commonly
during August suggests a delayed season, since the peak of it's
flight period in our area is usually during the first half of
July (and/or maybe it's a good year for blandula in particular).
Same for his C. amica (Girlfriend) observations, though it
often tends to hang on well into August.

Any other catocalating tidbits from other folks?

Best, Larry

>I just completed a cycle of 5 moth outings in 5 counties. One common thread
>was in evidence. This should be prime time for underwings, but the results
>are quite contrary.
>
>Aug 3, Westchester (James Ramsay Hunt Sanctuary) -- 1 Yellow-banded
>Underwing and 1 Obscure Underwing at bait; 2 Girlfriend Underwings at light.
>
>Aug 9, Fairfield (Devil's Den) -- 1 Charming Underwing at bait and 1
>probable Ilia Underwing flying off from bait.
>
>Aug 10, Litchfield (Milton, along Shepaug River) -- 1 Ultronia Underwing and
>1 Charming Underwing at bait, the latter later at light.
>
>Aug 12, Nassau (Muttontown Preserve) -- 1 Charming Underwing at bait and 1
>Girlfriend Underwing at light.
>
>Aug 13, Queens -- 1 Girlfriend Underwing at bait.
>
>The last spot was Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge. I surveyed that site last
>year, so I have a basis for comparison. Last year at this time, it abounded
>with Little Wifes, Sweethearts and Darling Underwings. None of these have
>been recorded yet this year. Is this season turning into a total bust
>(although July was not this bad) or can I hold out hope that some things are
>just late? That hope is in the fact that I'm still getting rather fresh
>looking Girlfriend Underwings, which last year at Jamaica Bay were only seen
>from July 9-23.
>
>Steve Walter

: Lawrence F. Gall, Ph.D.            e-mail: lawrence.gall at yale.edu  :
: Head, Computer Systems Office &     voice: 1-203-432-9892          :
: Curatorial Affiliate in Entomology    FAX: 1-203-432-9816          :
: Peabody Museum of Natural History    http://www.peabody.yale.edu   :
: P.O. Box 208118, Yale University                                   :
: New Haven, CT 06520-8118 USA                                       :