Idia

Steve Walter SWalter at nyc.rr.com
Thu Dec 26 21:19:34 EST 2002

Moth season never ends anymore. Oh yea, there's that snow issue. But 8
months worth of moths still roost on my hard drive, waiting to be
catalogued, identified, etc. Since CT-Leps has been dormant for a while,
I'll throw out an identification issue to see if this still works. Two
pictures can be seen at http://www.hmana.org/mothid/idia.htm . The one on
the left is an American Idia (Idia americalis), a common and easily
identified species. The one on the right is probably the same. The pattern
looks similar. The problem is the blacker coloration. I haven't been able to
find any documentation yet of a dark or melanic form of this species.
Anybody know anything more? So far, from what I can tell, all of my dark
ones (they are common) have been on Long Island.

Steve Walter