Banded hairstreak

Dale Roberts/Bill Yule droberts03 at SNET.Net
Tue Jul 9 09:39:47 EDT 2002

Frank and all,
       Besides what appears to be a population explosion of Great Spangled
Fritillaries (Spereria cybele) I'd agree that the common roadside butterfly
fauna seems thin right now along the south central part of the state. I
don't know if many species happen to be between broods (Pearl Crescent?) or
if there is another cause but Hairstreaks seem conspicuous by their absence
as well as Skippers.  Also, for me, a lack of Swallowtails now and very few
Anglewings.  Last year when we had significant invasions of the migratory
Vannessas (Red Admirals and Painted Ladies) there seemed to be butterflies
everywhere so many a little psych effect is occurring giving some of us the
feeling of "where are the butterflies?"  Then again maybe the numbers really
are way down.  Good reason to do "counts".   However when I do get the
chance to get out and off the beaten track, into the fields and back in the
woods the numbers of butterflies seem more within normal ranges, at least in
terms of MY short butterfly career.
     Of course herbicides and insecticides are always something to consider
and it may well be that some communities' insecticidal over-reaction to the
West Nile Virus scare have depleated some populations.  An interesting
question that has been discussed with some "vigor" on some of the national
lep listserves.

                               Bill Yule----- Original Message -----