coral egg

Andrew Brand andrew.brand at snet.net
Thu Jul 18 22:45:52 EDT 2002

Hi All,
Today, 7/18/02, while pruning Christmas trees in my backyard in Hamden, a female Coral Hairstreak landed on a small Prunus serotina (20" tall) two feet in front of me. As I was admiring her beauty in the morning sunlight (9:30AM), she began to slowly "walk" down the plant's stem. I carefully watched her descend until the grass and weeds obscured my view. Remaining motionless, I eagerly waited for her to appear which she did approximately 30 seconds later, crawling up some grass stems. Not wanting to disturb her, I waited until later in the day to see if indeed she had laid an egg. As I carefully pulled the grasses away from the stem base, I was thrilled to find my first ever Coral Hairstreak egg! It was laid approximately 1 inch from the ground.
Andy Brand