CBA Field Trip Report

Epmanshell at aol.com Epmanshell at aol.com
Sun Jul 28 09:01:27 EDT 2002

On Saturday, 7/27, 12 participants joined me on a field trip at the John
Flaherty Field Trial Area in East Windsor.

Despite the less than ideal weather, (it was cloudy and cool), we were able
to find a total of 18 species of butterflies.  The list is as follows:

Eastern Tiger Swallowtail (1)
Black Swallowtail (1)
Orange Sulphur (2)
Cabbage White (8)
American Copper (2)
Striped Hairstreak (1)
Eastern Tailed Blue (1)
Summer Azure (1)
Great Spangled Fritillary (1)
Silver-bordered Fritillary (1)
Pearl Crescent (30)
American Lady (1)
Viceroy (4)
Common Ringlet (15)
Common Wood Nymph  (25)
Monarch (2)
Northern Broken Dash (1)
Dun Skipper (1)

After lunch, I went back out and visited areas in the Field Trial Area we
didn't get a chance to cover during the morning and found an additional 5
species of butterflies, bringing the list for the day up to 23 species.  The
additional species found after lunch were as follows:

Spicebush Swallowtail (1)
Clouded Sulphur (4)
Tawny-edged Skipper (1)
Little Glassywing (1) (very worn)