Attack of the Lesser Maple Spanworms

Steve Walter SWalter at nyc.rr.com
Tue Jun 25 19:43:05 EDT 2002

Last night at Muttontown Preserve, Nassau co., the Lesser Maple Spanworm
Moth, a moderately small member of the family Geometridae, staged by far the
biggest showing I've seen of any single moth species. I put down 300 as the
final number, but who knows? It was a spectacle for sure -- LMSMs covering
the walls, LMSMs all around on surrounding bushes, looking out over the back
lawn and watching LMSMs rise up and seemingly making their way towards the
lights. But what a nuisance. It was not possible to walk without watching
what your feet were coming down on, especially close to the lights. LMSMs
were flying down my shirt. LMSMs were crashing into species I wanted to take
a closer look at, and sometimes dislodging them. I think I have a few
pictures with white wings in the way or blurring the image. When I finally
got into my house around midnight, I guess it was only fitting that I found
a LMSM on me. It was released into my back yard, where maybe it will mix
with the local gene pool.

I think I could use some underwings.

Steve Walter