Friday, 5/03 sightings

jh jhimmel at mindspring.com
Sun May 5 09:47:43 EDT 2002

I had meant to post something about a small population of azures I came
across in Madison last week.  In flight, the outer wings appear brown.  In
the hand, the outer wings are dark gray.  The scales must reflect the light
that way when they are flapping.  The azures outside of that area are not
brown in flight.

The area mostly pine and blueberry.  It is also frequented by Pine Elfins,
which the azures looked similar to.

Has anyone else seen brown azures?

Also, re. Clay's "Juvenal's Duskywing (VERY strongly marked)"

I also saw a VERY strongly marked (and pale brown) Juvenal's as well
yesterday.  Thought I had a candidate for Horace's, but the 2 spots on the
outer hind wings (present in Juvenal's) are very helpful in seperating the
two.

Tiger Swallowtail in Haddam yesterday, too.

John

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
John Himmelman
Killingworth, CT
jhimmel at mindspring.com
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

 Visit my websites at:
  www.johnhimmelman.com
  www.connecticutmoths.com
  www.ctamphibians.com
  Took a brief walk along the powerline at Horse Hill Road in Westbrook,
winds whipping through at 20+ mph.

  Spicebush Swallowtail - nice male
  2 Clouded Sulphurs
  Pearl Crescent
  Juvenal's Duskywing (VERY strongly marked)

  Clay Taylor