East haddam sightings 5/16/02

Clay Taylor CTaylor at swarovskioptik.com
Thu May 16 21:48:40 EDT 2002

Hi all -

    A nice day, and I played hookey from work (well, sort of - I just switched days off) to get in a little butterflying, birding, and odes around town.  Sites visited were Wapowog WMA (Salmon River State Forest), the Rt. 149 field, Harlo Haagonsen Preserve (CT Audubon), Brainerd Homestead SP, the Mt. Parnassus Skating Rink (Town of E.H.), and the Babcock Pond WMA

Butterflies;
Black Swallowtail (2) one female ovipositing on Water Hemlock at MPSR
E. Tiger Swallowtail (1)
Cabbage White
Clouded Sulphur - lots
American Copper
E. Pine Elfin (1) BPWMA
E. Tailed-Blue
Azure ssp.
Pearl Crescent - lots
Question Mark
Mourning Cloak - HH - REALLY worn
American Lady - ovipositing at HH
Red Admiral - digiscoped (see insert)
Juvenal's Duskywing - many, in various stages of wear
Wild Indigo Duskywing
Tawny-edged Skipper - my first of the year

Birds included incessantly calling Indigo Bunting and Hooded Warbler at HH, my first of the year RB Grosbeak and Least Flycatchers at Wapowog, and warring Vireos in my yard (Red-eye, Warbling, and Yel.-throated).   Also lots of N. Parulas singing.

Finally found some odes at Babcock, and struggled with most of them.  I'm gonna blame the books....

Clay Taylor
Moodus, CT
ctaylor at att.net

Red Admiral shot with Pentax Optio 430 through Swarovski STS-65 HD (@ 20x) approx. 11 feet away.