Milbert's Tortoiseshells

Elise & Karl Barry ksbarry at gis.net
Sat Sep 14 16:54:57 EDT 2002

On a sunny Wednesday, the 21st of August, temp about 55 degrees, wind about
5 mph, between 1:30 and 2 p.m.,  at about 6000 ft. on the side of the Auto
Road on Mount Washington, were 5 very fresh, and very fuzzy, Milbert's
Tortoiseshells. They were flying around the rocks where we stopped to have
lunch. Three of them were still there after we finished lunch and left.
They spent all that time flying low around, and mostly behind, a boulder
that was out of the wind. They were nectaring there on a large patch of
alpine (Solidago Cutleri) or large-leaved goldenrod (Solidago macrophylla),
couldn't be sure which.

Elise Barry