Sachems - Old Lyme, CT

jh jhimmel at mindspring.com
Wed Sep 18 18:20:19 EDT 2002

Hi Folks -

Thanks to the directions from Hank Golet, my wife Betsy and I got
to see the brand new butterfly - for me and Connecticut - the Sachems!
As he said, they were at Old Lyme Landscape in the zinnia patch.
There were about 5 or 6 of them, males and females.  The males were
like little terriers - chasing meadowhawks, sulphurs and other sachems.
Two were mating on a zinnia.

Photos of a male and female at
 http://booksandnature.homestead.com/misc4.html

The owner was very hospitable (and Betsy got a nice
deal on some rosemary there).

Looks like the CT Butterfly Assn. has a new butterfly to
add to the checklist!  And I didn't see it listed on the
CT Butterfly Atlas - too bad - what a difference a year or
two can make.

Also - a Cloudless Sulphur was also present - and were just
about everywhere we drove today!  Makes up for the dearth of that
spp. last year.  And a Buckeye at Rocky Neck SP.

John

John Himmelman
Killingworth, CT
jhimmel at mindspring.com