East Haddam SBC - Charm City

Clay Taylor CTaylor at swarovskioptik.com
Sun Jul 6 09:36:57 EDT 2003

Hi all -

    It was HOT yesterday, but the butterflying was challenging.   Last week, we were good on skippers, but short on brush-feet, gossamer-wings and anglewings - yesterday was just the opposite!

    Those of us that were devoted viewers of "Homicide - Life on the Streets" will remember the dectives' nickname for the City of Baltimore - "Charm City".  Well, yesterday at Haddam Meadows State Park and Echo Farm State Park, there were Baltimore Checkerspots all over the place.   We counted over 60 Baltos at HMSP, and there were almost 30 at Echo Farm.  Charm City!

*** Note to Laura R-C and any other DEP / State Park personnel - at HMSP, the area across the access road from the little pond, just south of the RC Airplane field has not yet been mowed.  There are huge patches of plantain there - the host plants for the Baltimores.   PLEASE leave those patches unmowed - they should be filled with Baltimore caterpillars in just a few weeks.   This could be the start of a major Balto colony!****

    We ended up tallying 37 species, with Rich Chyinski adding Milbert's Tortoiseshell to the all-time count list!

    Good sightings included BOTH Ladies, both Cloudywings, late Hobomok, Long Dash and Tawny-edged Skippers, 31 Bog Coppers, LOTS of E. Commas, 2 Monarchs, and 2 Hoary Edge Skippers at Wopowog WMA.

    Thanks to Diane Adams, Hank Golet, Ted Hendrickson, and Rich Chyinski.

    The New London Butterfly Count will be on Tuesday, July 15th.   Meet at 8am at Haley Farm SP in Groton for a Coral-fest!

Clay Taylor
ctaylor at att.net